Thursday, July 8, 2010

Going Natural, All the Way

I am committed to being natural in as many aspects of my life as possible, phasing out products with harmful ingredients, using reusable instead of disposable items, printing as little as possible, and so on, taking my appreciation for my own existence and everything and everyone else to the fullest extent of my capacity.  In this effort, I have for several years been using natural products for my daily ablution.  Here's my list.


Face
Toothpaste: Tom's of Maine Fluoride-Free Clean & Gentle Toothpaste.  I love this toothpaste because you can eat and drink right afterward without that yukky toothpaste + food taste.
Face wash: Avalon Organics Lavender Facial Cleansing Gel and Lavender Facial Cleansing Milk
Face scrub: Avalon Lavender Exfoliating Enzyme Scrub or Suki exfoliate foaming cleanser
Toner: I combine rose water and orange blossom water (half and half) in a reusable travel bottle to splash my face after washing.  I purchase these from a local Indian (Indian from India, not indigenous American/First Nations) grocery store, Cherian's in Decatur, GA.  Thanks to aesthetician Sandji of Soin de Peau in Sandy Springs, GA for this great tip!
Moisturizer: Avalon Organics Lavender Daily Moisturizer mixed with Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gelly (another Sandji tip)
Lip Balm: Badger Classic Lip Balm Stick - Unscented

Body
Body wash: Shikai Shower Gel, Yuzu.  I'm working on finding another one just to change things up.
Bar soap: Hugo Natural Wild African Rose (yes, I use both body wash and bar soap)
Shave cream: Avalon Organics Lavender Moisturizing Cream Shave.
Additional product I may try soon: Whish Flawless Ingrown Hair Serum.  This stuff is expensive, but I'm so tempted to find out if it is worth it!  I'll let you all know.
Lotion: Avalon Organics Hand and Body Lotion.  I apply after I shower, when my skin is still wet.  I used a mineral oil-based bath oil for YEARS that worked well for me, but I could no longer stand to use petrochemicals on my skin.  I continue to search for other options as well, as my skin has differing needs according to the season.

I will keep you posted on any new products I try!

In future posts I will also talk about household cleaning products, et al.

Did you hear about the woman in New York who "went green" all the way and saved $10,000 in one year?  See the Yahoo! Shine story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment